Merritt Cunningham handles the firm’s defective pharmaceutical and harmful medical device litigation. Her practice focuses on representing individuals injured by drugs and medical devices marketed by corporations who value profits over the safety of consumers.
A native of Rayne, Louisiana, Merritt graduated from Hunter College in New York City with a degree in English literature. She spent several years working in the fashion industry before attending Charleston School of Law. After earning her Juris Doctorate, she moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast where she helped victims of hurricane Katrina navigate the state’s grant programs in order to rebuild their lives. Committed to helping those in need, she joined a personal injury law firm in Gulfport, MS, and began her career representing individuals harmed by defective drugs and medical devices.
Merritt has litigated numerous pharmaceutical and medical device cases including Trasylol, Avandia, metal-on-metal hips, Pradaxa, Actos, Fresenius dialysate, IVC Filters and Xarelto. She currently represents hundreds of women harmed by pelvic mesh products. Merritt is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in Louisiana and Mississippi, and has been specially permitted to appear in federal courts throughout the country. She is proud to be a part of the Smith Stag team since 2010. Merritt attributes client satisfaction and case success to a strong work ethic and passion for advocating for those who may not be able to do so themselves.
- Hunter College, B.A.
- Charleston School of Law, J.D.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals
- American Association for Justice
- Mississippi Association for Justice
- Louisiana Association for Justice
- Association for New Orleans Trial Lawyers
- Association for Women Attorneys
- MDL 2004: In re: Mentor Corp. ObTape Transobturator Sling (U.S.D.C M.D. GA)
- MDL 2179: In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig Deepwater Horizon (U.S.D.C. E.D. LA)
- MDL 2187: In re: C.R. Bard, Inc. Pelvic Repair System (U.S.D.C. S.D. WV)
- MDL 2197: In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. ASR Hip Implant (U.S.D.C. N.D. OH)
- MDL 2244: In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., Pinnacle Hip Implant (U.S.D.C. N.D. TX)
- MDL 2299: In re: Actos (Pioglitazone) (U.S.D.C. W.D. LA)
- MDL 2325: In re: American Medical Systems, Inc. Pelvic Repair System (U.S.D.C. S.D. WV)
- MDL 2326: In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System (U.S.D.C. S.D. WV)
- MDL 2327: In re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair System (U.S.D.C. S.D. WV)
- MDL 2385: In re: Pradaxa (U.S.D.C. S.D. IL)
- MDL 2387: In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Repair System (U.S.D.C. S.D. WV)
- MDL 2391: In re: Biomet M2A Magnum Hip Implant (U.S.D.C. N.D. IN)
- MDL 2428: In re: Fresenius Granuflo/ Naturalyte Dialysate (U.S.D.C. N.D. MA)
- MDL 2441: In re: Stryker Rejuvenate & ABGII Implant (U.S.D.C. D. MN)
- MDL 2592: In re: Xarelto (U.S.D.C. E.D. LA)